International Driving Permit: What is it and Do You Need One? 1

International Driving Permit: What is it and Do You Need One?

International Driving Permits… I had no idea these existed until about 6 months ago. So we dug into researching about it and to see if we needed one in the places that we were visiting.We were led to a bunch of different sites with a bunch of different information and it seemed like none of these sites could give us a definitive answer. So we’ve compiled a list and we are giving you a one stop shop on International Driving Permits!

International Driving Permit: What is it and Do You Need One? 2

What is it?


An International Driving Permit is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Most countries highly recommend an International Driving Permit. (Even if they don’t…your car rental company might!!!)

In the United States, IDPs can be obtained at American Automobile Association (AAA) offices as well as from the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), typically for a fee of $15 or $20. 


Will You Need One?


Here are the Countries that require an IDP in conjunction with a US Driver’s License.

Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, and Spain. Now I would definitely check the tourist boards of the countries that you’re visiting to make sure that the rules haven’t changed and you suddenly need an IDP.


Now other things to keep in mind if you’re driving in a foreign country is their rules of the road. Coming from the US, you can look at the Driving and Road Safety Overseas article from the  State Department. This should give you some tips and reminders to keep you safe on the roads!

International Driving Permit: What is it and Do You Need One? 3

AAA and AATA are the ONLY licensed issuers of IDP’s! Sites that offers you an IDP for cheap or if you’re license is suspended or revoked then it’s a SCAM!!


Obtaining an IDP


You can either mail your application in with your passport photo, copy of your license (front and back) and payment to your nearest AAA office or you can fill out your application and take your passport photo, and payment to your nearest AAA office and they can print you a copy right then!



AAA Locator

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: